Friday, June 25, 2010

Homemade Granola

In an attempt to have healthier foods in the house, I have decided that I will try to make cereals for the family instead of buying the sugar packed cereals in the stores. My first attempt was granola. It's very high in fiber and protein and filling. I am very excited with how it turned out.

Simple Granola
4c old fashioned rolled oats
1/4c flax seed meal
1/4-1/3c honey
1/4c sunflower seeds

Preheat the oven to 350F.

in a bowl, mix together the first three ingredients till everything has a bit of honey on it. Add the seeds and blend.

Dump the mixture out onto a baking sheet with raised edges. Spread evenly and put in preheated oven.

Every 5-10 mins stir the granola around so everything bakes evenly. Bake for about 20-25min or until the granola is toasted.

Remove from oven and let cool. Then store in an airtight container. I really can't tell you how long it lasts because it was only around for a couple of days in my house :)

Also, the measurements are really just suggestions, reality you can add whatever you want in whatever quantities you want.

1 comment: